April is coming to an end and the tulips are slowly rising out of the dirt. The weather is starting to feel more like Spring except for last Friday when it snowed. This was great because my friend Noel from San Francisco has not seen it snow before. Although she didn't go out when it was coming down Friday night, she got to see the rooftops of the buildings below my window covered in a dusting of snow Saturday morning.
It's been a week since she traveled here from San Francisco, and I have to say it's been pretty awesome having her around. I have always wanted someone from the Golden State to move to Chicago and although that is still not likely, I like that we both can just be. It is kind of how I described hanging out with my brothers in LA. The presence of someone important means more than the social engagement. She's my best friend for lots of reasons. We love arts and craft, we like the piano, we like hiking, and we have gone through ups and down and still ultimately like each other. There is no need to put up a happy front if you don't feel it. You can just be and that's one of the greatest feelings in the world. A lot of social interactions for introverted people take a lot of energy. Some people require a lot more attention and direct engagement which means eye contact, speaking, hearing, expressions, etc the whole time you're with them because it would be awkward otherwise. I think you know when you establish a real connection with someone when moments and periods of silence can pass without saying a word. It's just that comfortable and comforting to be around them. The weekend is almost over and time is flying by fast. I am really excited for Helen to come to Chicago too so we can have a girls outing!
 |
| Nookies 2013- OMG we're getting old o_O! |
 |
| Nookies 2011- We look so young here! |
JASON VISITS FROM NYC
A few years back I met Jason through a mutual friend of a friend in San Francisco probably in 2009 or 2010. Then, Noel and I visited New York City, NY and my sister in Norwalk, CT in 2011 and met up and hung out during our time there. Now, he's here interviewing for jobs in the Chicago area. Unfortunately I was not as good a guide as he was or really great at engaging him during his stay in Chicago. I ran out of energy Friday night and was definitely out of energy Saturday. I still hope he had some fun meeting people. If he moves here, I would introduce him to more people he could hang out and party with since I am not the party type. I felt really bad that he might not have had the kind of time he wanted here in Chicago, but I didn't know he was so extroverted and social with so much energy to burn and stamina. New Yorkers!
 |
| Showed him the Cloud Gate AKA the Bean! |
 |
| Nookies! |
We went to the Art Institute Saturday afternoon and saw the Picasso exhibit. Picasso went through a lot of phases with his art before he developed Cubism. He painted and sketched in the styles of artists who inspired him and continued to try different mediums to explore. I really liked his bullfight and ladies series which I don't have photos of since I didn't go to take pictures. Noel is a scientific illustrator so she found it useful to take photos of some of his work in the gallery so she can use them as references for her work.
 |
| That's a lot of BULL! |
BOSTON MARATHON WEEKEND
It's crazy to hear what happened on Monday since Lilyan, Ping Jing, Noel and I left Boston Sunday night homeward bound to Chicago. I think it really makes you think that life can end in an instant and that you may never see it coming. The Boston Marathon event was actually all weekend. They had some fun kid runs and shorter runs on Saturday and Sunday before the real thing Monday. Our hearts goes out to all the marathon runners there.
 |
| Boston Duck Tour Saturday Morning. The Boston accent made it hard for me to understand the tour guide. |
 |
| Happy girls! |
 |
| In spirit of the marathon Lilyan and I decided to hop on the turtle and hare. Her hare stopped to scratch and groom itself so I think I won that race :) |
 |
| Looking at hieroglyphics! |
 |
| Egyptian statues! I actually didn't get to enjoy the experience of being at the museum as much because I was taking photos for references. |
 |
| That is one big statue of a pharaoh! So chiseled! |
 |
| The ideal body! |
 |
| Look I'm in Egypt! |
 |
| I think my butt is in the water... |
 |
| Art that you can interact with. |
 |
| You touch it and it touches you! |
 |
| A butterfly tiara for the queen! |
 |
| Fugyaku sushi in Brookline |
 |
| Chasing the Chicken with Rice truck! |
No comments:
Post a Comment