Sunday, January 1, 2012

Christmas in Boulder and New Years in Chicago...

So I went to Boulder for a White Christmas which was lacking in Chicago. It was a lot of fun. I got to eat my sister's gourmet cooking and cookies, played with hr cat, played with the in-law's dog, and chop down a Christmas tree. Along the way, I had a really good chocolate tea made from the husk of the cacao bean shell, and bought myself a cookbook catered for one. The first thing I tried making was the Warm Spinach Salad which has shitake mushroom, corn, and bacon. I have absolutely no idea what sherry vinegar is so I substituted with my bottle of balsamic vinegar. It was a pretty light salad. I think I would add salt and pepper when I am cooking the corn and shitake next time. I can make one more serving of the warm salad so I can test it out.

I really wanted to spend the New Years with a good bottle of Smirnoff and sushi, but the restaurant was closed... so I made the worse substitute possible and got some MCD nuggets... which I couldn't continue eating after 8. HAHA! To detox this morning, I made a mushroom soup with enoki and shitake mushrooms. I added a little bit of spinach and some spaghetti noodle to the mix.


 There was a prediction of snow today on the first of January but so far it is just winds at 25-40mph. My new work table won't be here until I start work again on the 3rd of January. I really wanted it to come this weekend so I could have it all set up :(

Because I was bored and craving cookies, I did something ridiculous and purchased $75 of tea and cookies on this cool site that sells English biscuits and tea.(Online shopping is dangerous when you live on your own I tell you!) I have to have an arsenal of tea and cookies to enjoy in the afternoon. When I think back, I really didn't become crazy addicted to tea until I went to afternoon tea two years ago. I always preferred tea over any other beverage including water, but I became more interested in all the floral, herbal flavors that can be mixed with tea that gives it an essence of a fruit.

Until my table and tea and biscuits come, I will be trying to figure out how I want to layout my space again. I got a really shitty coat rack from target which I had to modify, and a shelf that is currently standing but could probably collapse. I wasn't looking for anything to fancy... and they were cheap... so I guess you get what you pay for. I'll throw pics up when I once again, change my space. Until then, Happy New Years!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year, Vic! Can't wait to see pics of your new work table! BTW, I bake awesome cookies. Baking session soon, yea?

    ReplyDelete