Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Second Week in the Windy City

I started my job on the 6th of September and got a warm greeting from some of the old people I worked with during my internship. After that day, it seemed like the whole mood of the ADA changed back to normal. According to my coworkers, I just came after the worse of times in the Science Division. So many good people were let go because of an incident related to politics in the lab. Everyone has been hush hush and that makes me skittish and nervous because it feels like I entered at a bad time. My engineering is rusty and I am a bit lost at work which makes me feel even worse. At the moment, I feel like I am letting down my supervisor who hired me on. On Friday he told me that it will be okay and I will learn to be just as good as the other engineers in the lab. A lot of people assume I know how to do a lot things and I don't anymore. I don't know when lab meetings happen, and HR got on me today and found out they were the ones who made a mistake. It feels like I don't belong right now. Haha, I miss having friends to talk to and hang with, but I don't really miss the home life I left behind. My mind is clearer, and hopefully I'll get sharper as I adapt to the city I once loved.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, first week of work! Super exciting! I'm glad you got to reconnect with your Chicago friends and co-workers. I'm sure they missed you (like how we miss you now!) Hang in there, Vic! The skills will all come back to you very soon. So will the love for Chicago. I, without a doubt, know you'll love the city with a passion again. I expect to get into many spiritedly debates about who lives in the better city. I, of course expect to win! =P So yes, love Chicago! Love it like how a hipster loves bad fashion choices. Although we miss you like crazy in SF, we know you're doing great things in Chicago!! See you very, very soon!!:D *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. We're just a phone call/e-mail/IM away! When I get a webcam (touchppaddddd dream lives on!!!!), we'll chat via skype!!

    ReplyDelete