Sunday, March 31, 2013

Scrapbooking and Drinking

Although the title says scrapbooking and drinking, I will first clarify that I did not do both at the same time. Can you imagine how dangerous that would be with scissors, glue, tape, paper all over the place under the bad influence of alcohol? Haha. These are two subjects I just wanted to write about while I wait to go to my favorite gym class on Easter Sunday.

SCRAPBOOKING

I remember when I was a sophomore in college, I attempted to make a scrapbook of all the friends I have made through photos during different stages of my life. The last thing I remembered was that I never finished that scrapbook and now I know why. Scrapbooking takes A LOT of work. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I actually bought stickers instead of cutting everything out from computer paper.

This year I decided to make something special for Ping Jing's Birthday. I put together a collection of our many adventures in Chicago and San Francisco because she does not seem like the person who would make a photo album or scrapbook of memories. Memories, are the best gift people can give back to someone. It is what keeps the bond you have together alive.

On a disturbing note, I thought that people who do have a knack for scrapbooking are criminals with their obsession over their victims. Ever see episodes of Criminal Minds or Cold Case, or any police/investigation show? I suppose people who work for the police department would be good at scrapbooking too with their timelines, post-its, whiteboard, etc. 

Perhaps it would also be more fun to do this kind of activity with a group of people. You can share your resources and ideas, while having tea and snacks.

Art projects are pretty messy. This is why I wish I had a separate room I could turn into a studio.














I actually ran out of time, otherwise I would have wanted to work on some other pages more :(


DRINKING

Yesterday was my friend Wan Yee's farewell drink night. This was the first time I actually made some attempt to just do it. Although I found it kind of scary at first, it wasn't as terrible as I thought it would have been. All my past experiences with one or two college parties and people vomiting all over the place or drama pretty much kept me away from participating in social drinking to the point of being drunk. I actually still don't know how you can tell when you're drunk, but I was certainly glad I did not puke after having four different kind of shots, a vodka/tonic/soda drink, and an amaretto sour.

As far as doing something like this again goes, it certainly wouldn't be first or ten on my list of activities I would enjoy. Although being buzzed/drunk did take some of the edge off my mind from constantly thinking, I don't like the idea of having to take all sorts of precautions from the dehydration and being sick the next day. I was in the company of really good friends, so I am glad they were around when I decided to do it. If I do participate again, it would have to be for some pretty special occasion like someone leaving.

THE MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY

I actually forgot to mention I went to the Museum of Science and Industry too before the drinking. I have not set foot in Hyde Park since I was an intern during my first visit and stay in Chicago. The building I lived in was right across the street from the museum, and it brought back some memories. The exhibit I saw was pretty cool. I sort of wished they removed more muscle tissue so I could see more of the internal organs of the animals they plasticized. Since it was a special exhibit, we were not allowed to take photos. I also learned that I can't control my mind to relax which sucks. Ever since I have been out on my own, I guess I feel a lot more pressure about things I feel I have to accomplish. It's all on me to seek things out and make things work. It's also up to me to own up to my fears and take actions to master them.

My Greatest Fears:
1. Love
2. Public speaking
3. Academic/professional failure
4. Heights (this is on and off)
5. Bugs (although, I am not as afraid of this as I used to be)












No comments:

Post a Comment